Diabetes can lead to raised blood glucose levels which increases the risk of both vascular and neurological complications, especially in the feet. This increases the risk of chronic complications. At Nenagh Footcare Clinic we recognise that a diabetic foot assessment is an important tool for the early identification of any changes within the lower limb. A diabetic foot assessment will also help you know your risk status and how often you should be seeing your healthcare professional.
Treatment at Nenagh Footcare Clinic
At Nenagh Footcare Clinic your Diabetic Foot Assessment will contains the following:
- A full medical history
- A dermatological assessment (Full assessment of the skin)
- A vascular assessment (Blood supply to the feet)
- A neurological assessment (Nerve supply to the feet)
- Assessment of Footwear (Is your footwear appropriate?)
- Risk Assessment (What is your level of risk – low, Moderate or High)
Your treatment, may also include:
- Nail cutting and filing
- Removal of any corns or callus
- Advice on caring for your feet
- Advice on protecting your feet
- Advice on footwear
Annual Diabetic Foot Assessment is advised for all patients.
Complete these 3 Simple Steps every day to reduce the risk of developing foot problems.
Check Look for changes or broken skin daily. Use a mirror to check the soles. Report any concerns to your GP/Nurse/footcare specialist.
Wash Wash and Dry your feet daily, paying particular attention between the toes.
Protect Apply a urea based cream to your feet once daily.